Friday 29 July 2011

Day 91 - Drumnadrochit to Inverness

A funny day but unfortunately The Walker isn't laughing! We hadn't really looked closely at the map - I just knew I had to meet him where the Great Glen Way crossed the yellow road. Trouble was the road split before then, both sides crossing the Way. I naturally took the road to Inverness (as that's where we're heading) and waited patiently, making yummy sandwiches and keeping the cider cold for his lunch! When he was about half an hour later than I expected him to be, I drove back along the road to see if I had mistaken the sign.  As it suddenly got service, the phone buzzed frantically with messages from the Walker. Seems there'd been a misunderstanding! I was supposed to be at the first crossing!

Anyway we finally met, he had refreshments, then said he would meet me in Inverness at the Castle. As the Way passed right by the campsite, I decided to park the van, walk in and then perhaps we could get a bus back (I remember trying to park in the city was a nightmare). This also confused the poor man as he panicked when he saw the van and couldn't find me  - another phone call! He'll soon be well practised in the use of mobiles! And a good thing too!


"Where's that flaming Walker?" (Flora MacDonald)

In the end, it was a taxi for the short distance back to the van; taxis were parked right next to the castle and were probably as cheap as 2 bus fares.


From Bernie:
Today's walk  17.6 miles     :     Cumulative  1143.5 miles

Abandoned by the manager to wander lost & alone through the remote wildness of Abriachan Forest!
A quick up & away this morning to make up the miles lost to yesterday afternoon's heat & by 11.30 I was at the prearranged meeting spot: thirsty & ready for breakfast but pleased that, travelling light, I'd made up the time so quickly.
Now, the manager had been to this parking place before; indeed, she reminded me about the picnic tables & the people who were using them last time we were there! Eventually found her, after detouring through the forest to a campsite/ cafe where I thought there might be picnic tables - she was parked in a narrow driveway off the wrong road about a mile & a half from 'the prearranged parking spot'!
Mobile phone? Mine said No Network Coverage, the manager was disconnected, too!
Same story, different words!


Final view of Urquhart Castle & Bay

Finally enjoyed my cider & excellent cheese sandwich, relieved I hadn't another 12 miles to walk without sustenance, but an hour had drifted away....

The Great Glen Way follows an old drovers route from Blackfold, across moorland & through mixed woodland to the very edge of the city, making it difficult to calculate progress. Already weary, I decided to follow the 'official' route to Inverness Castle, our 2nd prearranged meeting spot, rather than follow the canal to its end at Muirtown Basin, entering the city centre from the north - I've added that to tomorrow's route!
The 'official' route passes tonight's campsite &, seeing the van already parked-up I popped in for a quick word with the manager.... noting that this was not our 'prearranged spot'! This time she'd abandoned the van!
Mobile phone? I called, twice! She just didn't answer!
I set off, wearily, for Inverness Castle, fearing I'd have to walk all the way back again! My only fault was that I'd forgotten there are such things as buses or taxis.
Same story, different words!
Not sure if the manager is demob-happy or whether she's trying to negotiate a termination of her contract of employment!


Inverness Castle

A quick mention of the walk.... I got what I asked for today: cloud, breezy & much cooler - walking was a lot more comfortable. We had heavy rain during the night, fortunately heavy enough to wake me as I'd left my boots on the front of the van to 'air'! The climb from Drumnadrochit to Abriachan is supposed to be the toughest & longest of the 'Way' but, after yesterday, it was almost pleasant!


Grand houses overlooking the River Ness

Entering Inverness on the official path took me beside The River Ness & over the Ness Islands; delightful walk through parkland/woodland, beside thigh-deep wading fly-fishermen - I hadn't done this before.


'Nessie' emerging from the River Ness on to one of the Ness Islands!

Highlight of the Day: the fantastic variety of interestingly sculpted seats on the Ness Islands!


Just one of at least a dozen, mostly being used by fishermen for their gear!

Beer of the Day: had a pint of Thistley Cross cloudy Cask Cider - produced by Belhaven. Quite refreshing, it's not bad.... but not a patch on the ciders produced by Westons!

Pam: see..... all you have to do is be patient!

Wendy & Richard: good to hear from you & hope you can read this! Best of luck to Richard in his new venture - hope you have a smashing time in Snowdonia!

Ann: it's good fun, this motor-home lark, isn't it? And, despite today's Post, the manager & I are still managing to sleep under the same roof!

1 comment:

  1. Just goes to show you, how much you two miss each other, when things don't go to plan. Cloudy again but not really too cold. onward and upward. love us

    ReplyDelete