Wednesday 8 June 2011

Day 41 - Hassell Green to Oakgrove

Where to begin? The day started well, though with rain forecast I was not sure where I was going to join The Walker, so we decided to meet at Lower Moreton Hall - a NT place which has a good write up and I was keen to see. I somehow then joined the NT, something we have held off doing for years after being accosted by rather too enthusiastic, even bossy officials of the said organisation bullying us to subscribe. It was worth it for this Hall alone, though - well worth a visit and it would have been my highlight of the day, except for what happened next.


Little Moreton Hall

As I was going to meet The Walker a large van decided to drive on my side of the road and smash my driver's wing mirror! It didn't even stop! A garage taped it up so that I could drive on; I was going to leave a message at our meeting place and drive into Macclesfield to try to find help. I didn't reckon on the Good Samaritans at The Fools Nook. How fantastic some people are! Being a bit shaken up, I told them what had happened - Dek and Mo sorted out a garage and a replacement mirror, which is, hopefully, being fitted tomorrow morning! Everyone was so kind. Many thanks to Stuart and Zoe for the donation to the BHF - I love your pub and wish we could have stayed! But onwards to John O'Groats!

From Bernie:
Today's walk 15.4 miles : Cumulative 532.7 miles

Originally scheduled as a day-off &, given the weather & what happened to Les later in the day, it might have been better if we'd stayed in bed! But I'd seen the hills & was lured towards them....!


The 'Old Man of Mow' - quarrying remains near the summit

After my harsh words yesterday, about the South Cheshire Way I had little alternative but to use it again to link the Trent & Mersey Canal with the South Cheshire Ring, the Macclesfield Canal. It was well sign-posted, stiles were in order & the going, generally, was straight-forward - the Council have obviously taken note of my comments & acted quickly!

I've never done a great deal of canal-walking but since Montgomery they've been a major feature of each map used & each day's walking. As their routes unfold before you it's possible to see the equivalent of a 19th century motorway system - I'd never appreciated how intricate yet how direct the network; fascinating stuff!
Turned out to be the wettest day of the expedition so far with 3 huge thunder & hailstone storms; as in Bude I happened to be on an exposed ridge of the Gritstone Trail when the lightning first started! I sheltered from the first in woods, the second under a canal bridge but the third caught me fair & square! Between the storms it was tee-shirt weather!




Storm rumbling in from the Welsh mountains - summit of Mow Cop

Highlight of the Day: Mow Cop, pronounced to rhyme with 'cow' my guidebook says! This had been my distant target across the Cheshire Plain since I'd left Chirk &, when I reached the summit, the views were stunning. The Welsh mountains were sharply defined in the eerie light of the impending storms while the white disc of Jodrell Bank shone brilliantly in the sunlight.


Summit of Mow Cop - Mow Cop Castle

Beer of the Day: Stuart & Zoe at 'The Fools Nook' set me up with a 'trio' - a third of a pint of each of their best bitters. 'Wainwright', 'Titanic White Star' & Jennings' 'Cumberland'; a brilliant idea & I think I like them in that order

I must echo Les' thanks to all the pub - after the 3 storms I'd have hated to be faced with the problems of a broken van as well!

Interesting footnote: the pub was built in 1829 for navvies constructing the Macclesfield Canal. It was originally named 'The Royal Oak' but stands on land once owned by the last Court Jester, Samuel 'Maggoty' Johnson - hence its current name!

Song of the Day (an occasional series!): 'Riders on the Storm' - The Doors version, none of the later messed-about ones!


First storm rolling across the Cheshire Plain... & the South Cheshire Way!

Di: after 18 miles on the South Cheshire Way & with the sound of traffic roaring past on the M6 a pink church seemed strangely appropriate! Actually it fits in quite nicely alongside the bright colours of passing narrow-boats!


David: glad to see you're still with us. Yes - I think you've gathered, I'd be happy to walk the extra 10 miles for a proper pint & I'd almost die of thirst before resorting to Coke! As for my favourite, that's very difficult; my taste buds are not good enough to compare a beer with one I tried 3 or 4 weeks ago but I do keep looking out for Weston's 'Old Rosie' wherever I go.....! Favourite bit so far? Probably the first few days on Offa's Dyke but that has an advantage in that I'd never been there before.


As for golf courses, they often take me a bit by surprise as, not being a golfer, I don't study a map in advance looking for little blue flags! I do, however, enjoy walking them & have walked virtually all the Open Championship courses except for Lytham which is a bit short on footpaths! My favourites? Troon, Turnberry & all the Fifeshire courses. As for Dornoch, I have walked there before & it is a stunning spot - hope the weather's good for photos when I get there, though, 'cos it can be desperately bleak when the wind's whistling & whipping up the sand!





No comments:

Post a Comment