Sunday 5 June 2011

Day 38 - Chirk Castle to Penley

After the wonderful warm weather the rain woke us both this morning; it was also considerably cooler but soon became dry. We were a bit later getting organised (Sunday Morning lie-in) , but The Walker was on his way by 9.45 and I returned to the van to research and book campsites for next week and the weekend in Edale when some of the family are visiting. It is getting harder to find decent places for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights as more and more people are "getting away" for the weekend. I've also been warned that mid-week will become busy as the retired contingency take to the road! ('That's us!' - Bernie)

Rain did come at lunchtime, though the sky was still bright; did hardly any walking today so will look forward to going along the canal towpath and visiting Whitchurch tomorrow.


Most interesting thing today was the mother duck and her 10 youngsters who suddenly appeared from nowhere at our barbecue - they were not frightened at all and pushed and shoved to be at the front for the bread. Mum stood at the back and let them get on with it. When all was eaten they magically disappeared!



From Bernie:
Today's walk 14.0 miles : Cumulative 483.6 miles


Awake early this morning, listening to the rain pattering on the van - didn't get up to make the coffee until 7.00 am; bit of a lay-in really! I wasn't in a hurry to be under way as I knew I'd have to pay the price for staying with Offa's Dyke too long & all of that canal exploration - the price was a lot of eastwards road-walking to line me up for the stretch towards the Peak District.



Today's route.... more-or-less!

Left Les with the van & wandered back around Chirk Castle to a point I'd first walked about 20 hours earlier! And though I knew today was to be something of a labour of love, the start was spectacular.... all down to that Telford man again!

Highlight of the Day: Chirk aqueduct & viaduct - the 2 Telford bridges span the River Ceiriog side by side &, though not as high or as long as the Pontcysyllte aqueduct, this was quiet with only the longboat pilots busy lining up their crossing before disappearing into the blackness of the Chirk Tunnel.







Detoured, yet again, to Dudlestone Heath, in the hope of finding a Sunday lunchtime pint - the pub is now the 'Bombay Spice'... open, today, only for special buffets & not until 5.00 pm: all I wanted was a beer.


I've flirted with danger several times on this walk but nothing has brought me as close to disaster as this afternoon's encounter with a road cycle race: elbows were flying, the language was ripe & I think I'd have been dead if I'd tried to point out that I had Right of Way.....


Passed a road-runners race shortly afterwards & they just ignored me.... I stopped saying 'Hi!' after a while...



Memorial to miners of the Ifton Colliery just outside the village of St. Martin's
The pits were on Ifton Heath - now a Nature Reserve


Beer of the Day: 'Chained Oak' from Staffordshire's Peakstone Rock Brewery - Les insists it's amber-coloured: I just think it's smooth, very drinkable & very good. After a few disappointing days I couldn't believe my luck: we're parked at Grindley Brook & the pub over the road has 6 different ales.... we're staying tomorrow night as well!


Song of the Day: Gordon Lightfoot's 'Early Morning Rain': I've always liked Dylan's version from his much-maligned 'Self Portrait' but my favourite version is by Paul Weller, maybe from 'Fly on the Wall' or his 'BBC Sessions' set.... I can't remember!

Technical Team: I quite enjoyed the extra 0.2 of a mile I walked to 'The Horse & Jockey' & back this afternoon!



Another of those signs that amuse me - if you're not interested in cricket this will mean nothing to you!

1 comment:

  1. To the technical team - finally, they fed some ducks!

    Love Jamie

    ReplyDelete