Saturday 22 June 2013

Postscripts from The Peak District (2) - Thor's Cave

Sunday 9th June

Not really good enough: we'd been here a week & this was only our second walk. Whatever happened to our aim to walk every other day? Time for a serious summit conference with the former manager...

All's well! Apparently we'd been waiting for the weather to improve.... & for a break in the cricket!

Just a little clarification at this point, having already suffered severe geographical criticism from the ex-manager. I'm taking The Peak District to mean the whole of The Peak District & not just those bits allowed into the National Park.... I suspect that, in time, I'll also 'adopt' outlying areas of Staffordshire & Cheshire. That's the beauty of being unplugged!

Drove out to Wetton village, about 8 miles north-east of Ipstones, for today's jaunt

Had been here last year with Jamie, Andy & Kirstie but in slightly damper weather....



A view up the Manifold valley from just below Wetton - now that is a walk we'll be tackling soon!


I


I'd love Thor's Cave to have something to do with Norse gods but, sadly, the name is probably just a local corruption of 'tors'.... maybe introduced by some wandering west-country Druid on his way to the islands....



Last time I was here I had one new knee & the other one in a sling - I'd struggled to even reach the ledge below the cave!
Quite proud to be able to climb inside today!
 
And this is just how far inside I managed to climb
 
If you look closely you can see a loop of chain hanging in a very sinister fashion from above the mouth....
 
 
 
 
A near-painless descent down what seemed like thousands of steps & we were in the valley
A year ago that would have written me off for the rest of the day!
 
 
There was once a narrow gauge light railway running along the Manifold valley which, according to one of the railway workers, was a line that started in the middle of nowhere & ended up in the same place!
Built with the alleged intent of moving milk & dairy produce out of the area more quickly & shifting copper from the mine at Ecton to The Potteries, it's also worth noting the late-Victorian enthusiasm for tourism in the area!
Needless to say, the line closed in 1937 & has been a surfaced footpath & cycleway ever since.... inspiration for Sustrans?!
 
 
 
 
Les asked me about the river & why there was just a dry, stony bed. I guessed that it had disappeared underground, a characteristic of limestone country
 
 
 
 
Barely 5 minutes later a cyclist stopped & asked me the same question. I repeated my story, as a fact now rather than a guess, & was relieved to discover later that it really does flow down a swallow hole only to reappear at Ilam!   
 
Song of the Day: 'Bottomless Hole' by The Handsome Family!
 
 
 Here we are again! What goes down must come back up.... & it would help if there was a footpath to follow!

 
 
 
Finally escaped from all the Sunday-afternoon visitors to Thor's Cave & the Manifold Way when we chose this route to return to Wetton
 
 
 
 
Ironically, the climbs were not as steep while the dry grass & buttercups were easy to walk through &, though the footpaths could not be seen on the ground, visibility was clear enough to see stiles several fields away! A good choice!
 

And so to 'Ye Olde Royal Oak' in Wetton. We'd been to this excellent pub before & they didn't disappoint today
Beer of the Day: 'Wincle Waller' from the local Wincle brewery - pale golden, hoppy & very good!


However magnificent the beer, the pub's main claim to fame is as the original creator & home of the World toe-wrestling championship.... you only need to look at the pictures on the pub wall!!!
Of course I'm not kidding!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Some of your walking looks more like hard work to me. Have put your blog on an app type thing on my I pad so I can check in easily and keep up with your walks. Pictures are good. Beautiful countryside.

    Jula

    ReplyDelete